Thread: starting mercs

Combatant

Default starting mercs

hey guys, new to the forum here! also new to the game. i have been looking around on the forum, and on the main website and i would like to start off with mercenaries, the thing is though is that im not sure which units i should start off with. i know the very basics, like the whole needing the warcaster, and that sort of thing, but im not sure if the different styles of mercs matters. Also what would be a few good basic jacks to start off with, but for the warcaster im really liking drake macbain, any help?

Your unit choices will really depend on your warcaster and what contracts they will work for.

With Drake not out yet, we just can't help you yet.

Welcome to the game, and if you have any questions, feel free to send along a message.
    Cryx - 65% Painted Cygnar - 0% Painted Retribution - 45% Painted

Welcome to Warmachine!

Mercs are a bit of an odd duck, because not everything Merc will work with anything else merc.

I'd reccomend picking up the Rule Book (for the rules and the Merc Contracts) and the Merc Card Deck. This way you get a feel for how the system works, how the contracts go together, and what Merc units are out there.

For example, you could run all Rhulic (dwarves), and have a contract with nothing but them. Or you can run Highborn, and have ashlyn, gun mages, and some Steelheads.

Mercs, more than any other faction, need a bit more research before jumping into (i believe).

But they're a fun 'faction' to play, even though you're the underdog, and MKII has really seen an increase in power for Mercs.

For Warjacks, you have three non-rhulic basic jacks to look at: Nomad (melee), Mule (Ranged), Vanguard (Defender). There are more, but those three are the staple merc jacks to look at.

And MACBAIN!!! isn't out till likely June. Can't help you there, sorry.

Come check out SKIDMARKS, my game of post apocalyptic vehicular mayhem, Kickstarting in October!

Welcome to the Iron Kingdoms! *gives atlas a cookie and a Mangler plushie* ^_^

Yeah, McBain is definately pushing me towards having a "general Merc force" rather than just my Searforge stuff I've currently got.

PB
    E.J.P.O.P.H.A.T.P.T.W.W.T.P.T.I.T.I.T.O.
    Play the figs you want to play.
    Got your cookie and plushie yet?

Destroyer of Worlds Llael'sHope's Avatar

Ah, Vanguard is now a basic essential warjack, so nice to see. Mercs are the greatest faction in the history of the Iron Kingdoms.

All joking aside, I agree with the 'Squid, you really need to research them before you dive in. Our contracts limit us and you can't be all schizo about what you go buy. You'll end up with Magnus, Forgeguard, and two gunbunnies. (it just won't work, trust me) We have the best character, some great jacks, and unit synergy. And MKII has really helped our competitiveness. Welcome aboard.
    "Hmmm....Dubious math."-Scott Wray, Chain-Attack podcast
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.”- Robin Williams

Combatant

Hey all, roomie got me involved in this crazy table top game... and out of all of them, i chose Merc. Well.... it took some time and after finding out they stopped making the Magnus box set; found one in England, got it, built it, and love them. Now... i'm trying to build my army. But, as i noticed there is Rhulic, privateer, and reg. Merc. Am i correct in the fact you can not mix and match? Please help with suggestions. Would love to diversify army and be able to keep up. Roomie is playing Protectorate and other friend is Khador.

thanks all...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsquid View Post
    I'd reccomend picking up the Rule Book (for the rules and the Merc Contracts)
    The Merc contracts aren't in my copy of Prime Mk. II, AFAICT - I had to get the download from the PP site...
    -Kle.

Destroyer of Worlds

I'd throw bucanneer in the basic jack list as it's just awesome.
    "Nerf Walking Sticks"

Combatant

yea i'm gonna have to pick up the faction book, damn privateer press they really know how to make ya pay for every little thing. oh well, see ya on the battle field.

Quote Originally Posted by Klebert L. Hall View Post
    The Merc contracts aren't in my copy of Prime Mk. II, AFAICT - I had to get the download from the PP site...
    -Kle.
    Whoop, you're right. I had forgotten that aspect of it. Yeah, they're in the PDF atm, but will be in the Forces Book. You can also check the Merc Forum, as we have it listed there.

Come check out SKIDMARKS, my game of post apocalyptic vehicular mayhem, Kickstarting in October!

Combatant

Okay, need a few suggestions on which theme/contract would be a good starting point. I've looked at the theme/contracts from the site. Is that the only ones available or is more expected with the MkII Merc book?

Oh, and is the Mk I Merc book worth the buy or just wait for Mk II?

ps roomie bought me Broadside Bart for a gift... does he have his own contracts/theme?

If you want to read the pirates backstory, then yeah go ahead and pick up the Merc book, if you don't mind waiting for the up to date rules, wait till the Mk2 book drops.

Bart will work for Highborn, Talion and I -think- four star, I'm sure on the first two but not sure about four star. Bart is a fun caster to play, he likes him some freebooters.

Welcome to the mercs!

Combatant

Thanks, for the reply. i guess the only question that really stands is by going with the Talion Charter then is it open to most merc sets? it shows that it's any privateer model or merc model. There really doesn't seem to be any restrictions with the exception of you can't use the Commodore with out Phinneas.

It's only Privateer Mercenaries that'll work for Tallion, and any Mercenary Warjacks (though without any Rhulic warcasters or marshals at the moment, that'd keep those from being available as well). So it does actually cut down a lot on what can and cannot be used in that contract. If you check out the Mercenary Tactics forums, there's a pinned thread that states who will work for which contracts in a nice, color-coded format that's pretty easy to read.

PB

Warrior

The PDF for the contracts is here: Clicky!

Also, if you haven't checked out Battle College, then it's a good place to start. You can read about other people's thoughts about things and get a general feeling on how everything works without knowing the stats.

Ps. Bart wants him some Freebooters

Quote Originally Posted by MiCKalaus View Post
    Thanks, for the reply. i guess the only question that really stands is by going with the Talion Charter then is it open to most merc sets? it shows that it's any privateer model or merc model. There really doesn't seem to be any restrictions with the exception of you can't use the Commodore with out Phinneas.

Privateers can easily be used in Highborn Covenant and Four Star armies in addition to the Talion Charter. A friend of mine plays all three and they swap out with one another very nicely.

I know I'm going to sound like I'm trying to recruit for the Searforge Commission, but look into maybe picking up a few Rhulic models to toy around with the other mercs. I'm a huge fan of the Horgenhold Forge Guard unit, or possibly picking up Thor Steinhammer and a few Rhulic jacks. The Herne and Jonne character unit is also nice for taking out large swaths of light infantry or putting dents in large, easy to hit targets.
    -PG_Askew
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania.
    Live in or near the Lehigh Valley (eastern PA, Western NJ)? Join the Facebook Group!

Combatant

the only rhulic jack i like is the basher.... rhulic's characters/jacks don't appeal to me. Sorry dood no Searforge for me.

Well, everyone's going to find different parts of the game interesting compared to others. There's nothing wrong with that.

However, the Basher is a great warjack to run under Thor Steinhammer who has the Jack Marshal ability. The two synergize perfectly, running as a pair on their own that can be brought to any 4-Star, Highborn, Cygnar or Khador army, and not just Searforge.

PB